25 things to do this weekend
Congratulations, you've made it through the week! If you are anything like me, you are probably mentally and physically exhausted. The weekend is an opportunity to recuperate, yet I often find myself on Sunday night wondering where it went and what I even accomplished. While it's nice to cross things off of your non-work to-do list over the weekend, it's also important to give your mind and body a break. Here is a list of 25 things you can do this weekend to boost your mental health!
1. Go for a walk- Go alone, walk your dog, or find a friend. Good for your mind + body!
2. Call your parents- Or if you're lucky enough to live nearby, meet them in person!
3. Read a book- To me, getting lost in a good book feels just slightly better than getting lost in a Netflix binge. Same feeling, less guilt.
4. Take a nap- Sometimes when I'm really overwhelmed, I simply take a nap. Even though it seems like a way to avoid responsibilities, I often wake up feeling refreshed and ready to take on the tasks I was avoiding!
5. Go to a new restaurant- Try out the new place you've heard so much about or the place your friend has been recommending.
6. Meet a friend for coffee- There's nothing quite like meeting a good friend for great conversation over even the most average coffee.
7. Watch a funny show or movie- When I'm feeling down or stressed, a good laugh can truly turn my mood around.
8. Try out a new recipe- It doesn't matter if you nail it or fail miserably, it's fun to try something new in the kitchen!
9. Go to a workout class with a friend or family member- I've got one word for you: endorphins.
10. Buy some fresh flowers- For someone else, or just for yourself!
11. Light your favorite candle- A pretty fragrance can make even the most mundane tasks (doing the dishes, folding laundry, dusting) slightly more enjoyable. I like to pair a candle with some Frank Sinatra while doing chores.
12. Get dressed up to go out to dinner- Or for a dinner in! Dressing up is half the fun :)
13. Stay in your pajamas all day- Don't you love the feeling of going to bed and not having to change because you're already in your PJ's?
14. Write someone a letter- Pick a friend or relative who lives far away and hand-write a letter on pretty stationary. It's therapeutic for you and they'll love getting mail!
15. Snuggle with a dog- If you don't have one of your own, find a friend who does! As I write this, I have a puppy sleeping on my lap and there is nothing better.
16. Make your bed- I swear by this practice. Even if you don't do it everyday, try it this weekend. Better yet, wash your sheets and then make your bed. One of the best feelings in the world has to be crawling in to a fresh, clean bed.
17. Sing out loud- My favorite place to do this is in my car (#noshame). Blast your favorite song and belt it out!
18. Daydream- Sometimes, it's nice to just let yourself sit and daydream. I usually like to think about something exciting that's coming up, like a trip or an event.
19. Pick up an old hobby- Do something that you don't make time for anymore, but you've always enjoyed.
20. Go to the library- It's free! Wander around and look at books in your favorite genre in the peace and quiet of your local library. You may even walk out with something new to read!
21. Lend a hand- Whether helping out a friend, volunteering, or doing a random act of kindness, lending a hand with benefit someone else AND make you happy!
22. Look through old photos- I love looking at pictures or watching home videos from my childhood to bring back happy memories (and laugh at ridiculous outfits and hairdos).
23. Plan a vacation- Planning is part of the fun of a trip and gives you something to daydream about (see #18).
24. Talk to a grandparent- They are full of wisdom and great stories!
25. Play board games or cards- Plan a good, old-fashioned game night with friends or family.
What do you have planned this weekend?